Elder Kyle Jensen

Elder Kyle Jensen
I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am serving and sharing the Gospel in Las Vegas, Nevada until April 2015

Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 2, 2013 First Letter From Las Vegas


Hello,

I just want to send you a quick letter to tell you about my experiences in the mission field so far.  My last letter was a BIG one so don’t expect all of them to be that informative.  My new companion’s name is Elder Hearne, and he is from Alabama.  Everyone seems to think very highly of him so I am looking forward to the next few months.  I was instructed to do everything that he said, so I certainly nope that everyone is right about him.  Currently we are going through what is called a “double transfer”-which means two Elders moved out of our apartment at the same time that both of us moved in.   The problem is that neither of us are familiar with the area, and the two Elders that moved out completely trashed and raided the apartment (they should have left us with toilet paper, cleaning supplies, food, etc.).  They also left us with only 2 contacts and virtually no information about them.  It appears that they were not exactly “anxiously engaged” in the work.  As a result, the last two days have mainly been cleaning, training, and preparation days for us.  Yesterday we tried finding a grocery store, but the only one that we were able to find was a 99¢).  We were able to find some cereal and milk there and water, but they didn’t have a whole lot of stuff.  It’s kind of hard when neither of us know where anything is.  Apparently the water here isn’t drinkable (unless you want kidney stones).  So we had to find a water filter at Walmart today.  This morning I spent most of the day at a training meeting in Southern Las Vegas (We are in Northern Las Vegas right now).   To get there we had to trade our bikes to the zone leaders so that we could take their car (apparently neither of the zone leaders have their own bikes).  So basically other missionaries have ridden my bike more than I have.  Fortunately our bikes weren’t broken or stolen, and we shouldn’t have to lend them out agin any time soon.  On our first night here, we discovered that there was only one roll of toilet paper in the apartment (between two bathrooms).  My senior companion/trainer, Elder Hearne, decided that we would have to wait until Thursday to buy more toilet paper.  Then somehow in my clumsiness, I dropped the only roll into the toilet.  Wen I told him what I did, he handled it pretty well, so it is pretty clear that he has enough patience to train me.  Hopefully we will be able to figure out where everything is, get in contact with people, and start working soon.

Note 1:  Apparently this is a high baptizing mission-the president said about 1 baptism a week per companionship is possible and to achieve this goal we are supposed to get 1 new investigator a day.  Also, we are supposed to teach 20 lessons a week, so I will be busy.

Note 2:  I will only receive mail on Mondays from now on.

Note 3:  Please send me recipes(Alfredo, chicken spread, etc.)

Note 4:  Also, it would be nice to have a calendar of some kind(can just be one of the free ones that come in the mail).

Note 5:  On Mothers Day I am allowed to Skype you.  Expect me to call sometime after 4p.m. (PST).
~Kyle Jensen~

No comments:

Post a Comment